[siprec] Proposal: new SIPREC work on conference recording

Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu> Fri, 13 September 2013 14:24 UTC

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 10:24:35 -0400
From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu>
To: "siprec@ietf.org" <siprec@ietf.org>
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=comcast.net; s=q20121106; t=1379082276; bh=g0U990FfGhKFSHZsxiJmnk9AbyMalVkyIpPimznvbN4=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Date:From:MIME-Version:To:Subject: Content-Type; b=mXHDw/p+PJidegmUry/A70dDQ2Powwcs7xXjOY4rh+H5nvR6Y1152MSPswk7Luwr9 D7z0QZHoN6SfvW2wFErKyT8QrxOpqHJviZNbT8j2YyOe6u6BhU/IzbHOTC6HOnDlIy VJpvwVJUere0zjBxaUltFxY/8k9e6DEkEnCJ6L9+vumjAG0acumRzT9sLOwML+fV4h CNs2WDMbEIL3IVNKMz3XWSswWkFUbRC9eIz6vigoi3M3UWqKswWiqAaWhAUjsfvzG0 Xu9KnAqxNZYpWaKW6PqsWDwqkhooLqbQUAZO5ovRovr3gHCvB3dk7m3SRNTihScWiQ +5ABrZUO2oHNw==
Subject: [siprec] Proposal: new SIPREC work on conference recording

In Berlin I spoke about a proposal to extend the siprec charter to more
fully address conference recording. There was good feedback during that
meeting about where to focus, and significant interest in going forward
with this.

Since then Simon Romano, my associate Michael Yan, and I have refined a
use case and requirements draft about that, which was just posted. The
announcement of that draft is attached.

I request that all you SIPRECers please review and comment on this
draft. I'd appreciate feedback to make it better.

In conjunction with that, below are are specific siprec charter change
proposals, to extend our scope to cover this work. I'm also soliciting
comments on these.

After some list discussion on the draft and the charter changes, I hope
we can have a session at ietf88 to progress this.

	Thanks,
	Paul

PROPOSED SIPREC CHARTER REVISION (as deltas to current charter):

> The Session Recording Protocol (SIPREC) working group is chartered to
> define a SIP-based protocol for controlling a session (media) recorder.
>
> Session recording is a critical requirement in many business
> communications environments such as call centers and financial trading
> floors.

[Replace above sentence with:]

Session recording is a critical requirement in many business
communications environments such as call centers, financial trading
floors, and multimedia conferences.

> In some of these environments, all calls must be recorded for
> regulatory and compliance reasons. In others, calls may be recorded for
> quality control, business analytics, or consumer protection. Recording
> is typically done by sending a copy of the media to the recording
> devices. The working group will determine requirements and produce a
> specification for a protocol that will manage delivery of media

[Insert:]

(including audio, video, MSRP instant message sessions, and real-time
sharing of documents, applications, and computer screens)

> from an
> end-point that originates media, or that has access to it, to a
> recording device. PBX and recording vendors today implement proprietary,
> incompatible mechanisms to facilitate recording. A standard protocol
> will reduce the complexity and cost of providing such recording
> services.
>
> The Session Recording problem presents certain unique requirements that
> are not addressed in the current SIP protocol specification. These
> include requirements such as the need for a distinction between the
> session that is being recorded versus the session that has been
> established for recording.
>
> Privacy and security of conversations are significant concerns. The
> working group will make sure that any protocol specified addresses these
> concerns and includes mechanisms to alert users to the fact that a
> session they are participating in is being recorded.
>
> The working group must take care that the session recording requirements
> and protocol does not conflict with the IETF statement on wiretapping
> contained in RFC 2804.
>
> The SIPREC Working Group will thoroughly identify use cases, provide
> example system architectures and deployment scenarios, and define
> requirements.
>
> The scope of the activity includes:
>
> * Recorder Control
>
> * Session metadata content and format
>
> * Security mechanisms, including transport and media encryption
>
> * Privacy concerns, including end-user notification
>
> * Negotiation of recording media streams
>
> The group will define these issues and rationalize with IETF standards
> and practices. This includes encryption, NAT traversal, operations and
> manageability, SIP-enabled firewalls, authorization, and security.
>
> The group will produce:
>
> * Updated Requirements, Use Cases, Architecture draft
>
> * Specification for Session Recording Protocol

[Insert:]

and Metadata

> Milestones
> Done      Use Cases and Requirements to IESG as Informational RFC
> Jan 2013  Submit Architecture to IESG as Informational RFC
> Apr 2013  Submit protocol draft to IESG as Proposed Standard RFC
> Aug 2013  Submit Metadata model and format to IESG as Proposed
>           Standard RFC
> Aug 2013  Submit SIPREC Call Flows draft to IESG as an
>           informational RFC.

[additional milestones - optimistic dates:]

Apr 2014  Conference Recording Use Cases and Requirements to IESG
           as Informational RFC

Aug 2014  Conference Recording Architecture to IESG as
           Informational RFC

Aug 2014  Protocol and metadata for MSRP recording to IESG as
           Proposed Standard RFC

Dec 2014  Protocol and metadata for recording of document &
           application sharing to IESG as Proposed Standard RFC

--- Begin Message ---
A new version of I-D, draft-kyzivat-siprec-conference-use-cases-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Paul H. Kyzivat and posted to the
IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-kyzivat-siprec-conference-use-cases
Revision:	 00
Title:		 Multimedia Conference Recording Use Cases and Requirements
Creation date:	 2013-09-13
Group:		 Individual Submission
Number of pages: 9
Htmlized:        http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kyzivat-siprec-conference-use-cases-00

Abstract:
   The current work of SIPREC will soon finish.  As conferences are the
   key requirement for some environments, it is worth to explore several
   extensions and additional functionalities to support multimedia
   conference recording.  SIPREC is not sufficient to record all the
   conference sessions via certain interactive media channels, like
   multi-user chat or screen sharing.

   This draft tries to show the use cases for multimedia conference
   recording and the requirements for how to work well under SIPREC
   mechanism.

The IETF Secretariat

--- End Message ---